- A clear and shared vision for the school.
Staff, students, parents and the community need to know what the school is set out to achieve and how it intends to achieve it. This is stated and made known to every stake holder in the school.
- A conducive learning environment.
A good school need a clean and well-organized environment that encourages students to develop their skills and increase their knowledge. A clean and comfortable school setting helps enhance the teaching and learning experience.
- Skilled and supportive teachers and administrators.
Teachers are students’ role models. They have a strong influence in shaping a student’s attitude and personality, so it is necessary that they possess admirable qualities which cultivate the students’ talents and abilities. Good teachers are approachable and willing to mentor their students in achieving academic excellence and attaining their personal goals. Likewise, school administrators must be professional and supportive to the needs of the academic staff.
- Focus on teaching and learning.
This is informed by the belief that all students can learn. Teachers must find ways to motivate and engage them. The curriculum is rigorous and teacher performance is regularly monitored by the principal and executive staff. Teachers and students strive for excellence in academic and extracurricular activities. Good performance is always publicly recognized and rewarded in various ways.
- Reliable support staff
- Good schools have excellent support staff (e.g., nurse, doctor, guidance counselor and psychologist) who are geared to help meet the needs of all the students. Additionally, the school connects with the best suppliers or service providers who deliver quality products (e.g., school playground equipment, school supplies, art supplies and library supplies) and efficient services that meet the needs of the school community.
- A safe learning environment for students
Good schools have environments that are safe for students physically and emotionally. It is a supportive community where the teachers and students collaborate and focus on achieving better learning. Hence, it is free of negative behaviors, like bullying and harassment. Instead of using punishment to discipline the students, the school might focus on preventing student misbehaviors by implementing disciplinary actions that are safe for the student and helpful to the community, such as letting the students do social work or community service for a certain period.
- State-of-the-art equipment and facilities.
Good schools have appropriate educational tools and facilities, such as computers, laboratories and libraries. Additionally, good schools offer students (including those who love the performing arts) with opportunities to enrich their educational experience and nurture their talents such as going on school performance tours.
Good schools provide platforms for identification and collaborative solving of teaching and learning problems at the school. Staff members are empowered to take the initiative and make decisions. The principal facilitates and monitors this process.